Skip to main content

Get in the Zone (of Proximal Development) in Your Coaching

The community aspect of athletic activity is important for multiple reasons. Our sports communities provide support, reality checks, and useful information about appropriate behavior. And notably, our community connections are also vitally important influences on our actual learning.

For as long as I’ve been training jiu jitsu, from my very earliest, flailiest experiences up to the present, my teachers and training partners have helped me achieve more in partnership with them than I would be able to by myself. Nowadays, I find myself doing for less experienced practitioners what my teachers have always done for me: using my knowledge to set them up for success. For instance, let’s say we drilled a triangle sequence during the technique part of class. During the rolling part, if my partner has significantly less experience than I do, I might purposefully place myself in a situation where s/he can execute the techniques we worked on earlier in the class.

Sometimes the athlete sees the opening right away and takes advantage, sometimes my simply asking, “What do you see here?” does the trick, and sometimes it requires an overt comment like, “Here you can execute the techniques we worked on earlier today,” accompanied by verbal cues at each step. Thus, depending on the athlete’s needs, I am able to provide assistance to help him/her accomplish more than s/he would be able to without that assistance.

In learning theory, the role I am playing in this scenario is known as the “more knowledgeable other” or “more capable other,” and the mental and physical space within which the athlete and I are interacting is called the “zone of proximal development.” In his seminal 1978 book Mind in Society: The Development of Higher Psychological Processes, psychologist Lev Vygotsky defines the ZPD (as educational types like to refer to it) as “the distance between the actual developmental level as determined by independent problem solving and the level of potential development as determined through problem solving under adult guidance, or in collaboration with more capable peers.”

So what’s the “so what” here? This probably sounds like what many of us already do as coaches and teachers, no? We help our athletes and students along, enabling them to do more, with support from us, than they would be able to otherwise.

Well, how many of you have had a coach-athlete interaction that goes anything like this: “Okay, Athlete X. I’m going to walk you through this sequence of movements. Let’s start with you putting your left foot on your partner’s hip. No, your left foot. Your LEFT foot. Left FOOT. No, your LEFT FOOT. No, YOUR left foot. Okay, relax. I’m going to take your left foot and place it where it belongs. OW! I know you didn’t mean to kick me. It’s okay. Let’s take five.”

Sometimes, I hate to admit, I have shaken my head after an encounter like that, wondering what on earth is wrong with the athlete. Well, the answer is: nothing. What’s wrong is what I’m asking of the athlete. It turns out that Brazilian jiu jitsu is very demanding, on cognitive, neurological, muscular, and emotional levels, especially for beginners, and if an athlete cannot perform what I am asking, I need to ask something different – I need to be in the right zone with them.

proximal development, zone of proximal development, learning theory, bjjMore recently, when I teach or coach, the concepts of the ZPD and the more knowledgeable/capable other have helped me understand that sometimes I may be asking too much of someone, even if I believe I am effectively scaffolding them (another term associated in learning theory with the ZPD). Maybe they just aren’t in this particular zone yet. That’s neither good nor bad. It’s just useful information that can help me better tailor my coaching so as to more effectively set up athletes for success.

Understanding the learning process in this way helps me as a coach in several ways. First, it enables me to remain more patient than I would otherwise be able to, because I understand the mechanism at work. I know the athlete is not being obtuse and is certainly not uncoachable. Second, it gives me useful feedback about how I might more effectively adjust my expectations and my requests of the athlete toward a more successful result. I can reposition the ZPD to make sure the athlete is squarely in it. And finally, it reminds me of how inherently social effective learning is; if we want to make sure we help our athletes do more than they believe they can, we must believe it for them first and demonstrate that belief in every interaction we have with them.

How might you make the concept of ZPD work for you, whether as a coach or as an athlete? Post your observations to comments.

Photo 1 courtesy of Shutterstock.

BJJ photo provided by David Brown Photography.

The post Get in the Zone (of Proximal Development) in Your Coaching appeared first on Breaking Muscle.



from Breaking Muscle https://ift.tt/3cByg0t
via IFTTT

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Mitchell Hooper Squats 525 Pounds for 24 Reps, Surpasses Tom Platz’s Previous “Record”

Mitchell Hooper is likely best known for his recent run of strongman dominance, culminating with his first-ever World’s Strongest Man (WSM) victory during the 2023 iteration in April. However, the Canadian athlete prides himself as an all-around strength dynamo, working on his conditioning and dispensing some of his first-hand training knowledge seemingly whenever he can. The superstar’s latest feat in the gym is a lesser-known but legendary milestone to capture. On May 23, 2023, Hooper shared an Instagram clip of himself squatting 238.1 kilograms (525 pounds) for 24 reps . The strength mark was an AMRAP (As Many Reps As Possible) performance and officially surpasses the legendary 1980 Mr. Universe Tom Platz — who set the initial standard with this achievement with 23 reps of 525 pounds in 1992 during the “Great American Squat-Off.” Hooper notches a good depth into “the hole” on each of his repetitions and donned a lifting belt and knee sleeves during the squat set. ...

How to Do the Incline Dumbbell Bench Press for Upper Pec Muscle and Pressing Strength

Developing a strong pressing movement is pretty standard advice for any lifter looking to make big gains in upper body development. The incline dumbbell bench press, in particular, will add some spice to your chest workout by using a new angle of attack to bring some unique perks. Credit: MDV Edwards / Shutterstock Between the dumbbells, inclined body position, and some clever programming choices, you’ll set the stage for some long-term progress in size and strength. Here’s why this chest exercise should be a staple for sculpting your upper body. Incline Dumbbell Bench Press How to Do the Incline Dumbbell Bench Press Incline Dumbbell Bench Press Mistakes to Avoid How to Progress the Incline Dumbbell Bench Press Benefits of the Incline Dumbbell Bench Press Muscles Worked by the Incline Dumbbell Bench Press How to Program the Incline Dumbbell Bench Press Incline Dumbbell Bench Press Variations Frequently Asked Questions How to Do the Incline Dumbbell Bench Press St...

Joseph Baena Breaks Down a Full-Body Endurance Workout

Joseph Baena understands the weight behind the fitness icon he’s often compared to . As the son of the legendary Arnold Schwarzenegger , some might say strength and training run in the family. Some might even expect him to take up the old family “business.” At the very least, Baena appears to try and honor his lineage any chance he gets. A recently shared new workout is but one example. On the weekend of May 19-21, 2023, Baena posted an endurance workout with a full-body aim . In a now-deleted Instagram post, he presented it as a worthy challenge to his followers while continuing to polish up his own fitness. More from Breaking Muscle: How to Build Muscle: The Training and Diet Guide for Lifter s Try This Beginner Bodybuilding Routine if You’re Looking to Build Mass In the caption of his deleted post, Baena explains that this endurance-based routine is about “switching” up his workouts now and then. That could be in the form of a new individual movement, implementing drop se...